We are 100% local, from the creation of our prints and patterns by young Egyptian designers, to the making of our fabric and the production of our pieces. We believe that Egypt has top quality fabric, amazingly talented designers, and wonderful craftsmanship and we will continue to create 100% of our products in Egypt. We believe in working in a way that actively recognizes Egypt's great resources and helps our community. By producing locally we will support jobs in places where they are needed and encourage Egyptian production.
On top of that, we work with several organizations that educate and empower others (women especially), giving them opportunities to support themselves and their families. Working with
such cause-driven organizations changes our society for the better. Read more about who we work with below...
A.P.E (Association for the Protection of the Environment) is an awesome charity organization that works with the "Zabaleen" (meaning garbage collectors in Arabic) of Cairo. A.P.E's aim is to help this community find creative ways
to recycle and re-use waste, thereby helping the environment and generating income for tons of families. We love them because they employ and educate, which is fantastic!
Our work with A.P.E is in line with our mission of giving back to our community and seeking new and creative ways of making our products. We have generated over 60,000 EGP in income for A.P.E in the last year through our nillens/A.P.E products, and we donate all our fabric off-cuts to the organization.
From lions to elephants to camels, every animal is handmade with love by a woman who works with A.P.E.
The Animal Collection is an ongoing project we are working on with A.P.E and 100% of the profit on the animals goes back to the organization.
We've made hundreds to date, providing an income to several families. The animals are available at our Zamalek store.
An additional bit of info that you might not have known:
The Zabaleen are able to handle over 40% of Cairo's waste! Given
Cairo's enormous size, we find that quite impressive! While the Zabaleen
do dispose of a bunch of garbage, they are also able to recycle almost
85% of it, a rate higher than most cities in Europe and North America!
We are so proud of the work A.P.E does for the inhabitants of Cairo.
Our products have been designed to stand up to use and stay beautiful. Properly treated, they will give enjoyment for a long time. Getting the washing right is very important. Please take a look at our care instructions to ensure that your product will be treated in the right way.
- Machine wash your bedding on a gentle cycle and at the warm water setting (40 degrees or less)
- Use a small quantity of a mild detergent
- Do not use detergents that contain bleach, as it will cause discoloration
- Do not soak as it may cause excess dye to bleed onto light areas of fabric
- Hang to dry or tumble dry on low heat until damp and then immediately remove from the dryer.
- For cotton sateen linens, avoid the dryer altogether as it may damage the shiny cotton satin finish
- Machine wash warm
- Use a mild detergent to avoid discoloration over time
- Wash solid colors and dark colors separately
- Do not soak, as it may cause excess dye to bleed into lighter color fabrics
- Hang to dry or tumble dry on a low heat
- Iron if necessary
- Do not over dry your bed sheets and do not leave them in the dryer after the drying cycle is complete
- High temperatures or prolonged drying will cause excessive shrinkage, weaken the fibers and shorten your bed linens lifespan
- Hanging to dry will ensure less wrinkling and a longer lifespan for your bedding. The heat of a dryer destroys the natural fibers of the cotton
- Do not wash your cottons with polyester products because polyester has the tendency to "pill" and shed the same pills on to the cotton fabric